Yes, I said smashed, not mashed. Everyone has tried mashed potatoes and baked potatoes, but have you tried smashed potatoes?
I love to make this with my dinners. I normally pair it with a meat and some sort of vegetable. They are crispy, flavourful, bite-sized pieces of heaven.
Here is what you will need:
- 1 package small/ baby potatoes
- olive oil
- Thyme or green onions (optional)
I don’t think it is even possible to use less ingredients, making these tasty potatoes even more delicious for how cost efficient they are! The cherry on top is how quickly you can make them.
- Pre-heat your oven to 450 degrees ferenheit. First you want to boil the potatoes to cook and moisten them. Boil for about 13 minutes, or JUST until they become tender (don’t cook too long because they still have to go in the oven).
- Drain and transfer to a baking tray. Make sure to line your tray with tinfoil. Place your potatoes on the tray and use the palm of your hand to press down on them (this is where they get the name, “smashed potatoes”). Break them open by squishing them so they look like cracked patties. You should also let the potato cool before doing this, so they do not crumble apart.
- Drizzle the oil on them with a bit of salt and pepper (along with your choice of fresh herb if desired). Pop them in the oven for 35 minutes and finito, delicious smashed potatoes. The crispiness is what makes them for me because the skin becomes chip-like.
**You can add bacon, sour cream, salsa, green onion or whatever toppings you would like to amp up that flavour. I can’t promise they will still be considered healthy though.
What toppings or herbs do you think would be tasty on the smashed potatoes?