I made this for my family on Valentine’s day and it was a huge hit! It’s a nice spin on the classic french toast dish. The flavours are more complex and the strawberries make it fresh tasting. You could make this in the morning for breakfast or as a dessert.
*Yields 2 french toast sandwiches
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup strawberries, cut in half
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 slices bread
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
1.In a medium bowl, mix all of the filling ingredients together (cream cheese, powdered sugar, strawberries and vanilla extract).
2. Spread two spoonfuls on two pieces of bread. The picture shows the standard amount to use, but I add a little extra because I like the cream cheese mixture to almost be oozing out of the french toast sandwich.
3. press the other two slices on top and apply a bit of pressure when making the sandwich so it all sticks together.
4. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, sugar, and cinnamon together.
5. Place the butter in a skillet on medium heat, and while that is melting, dip both sides of one of your sandwiches in the egg mixture. Then, place in the skillet.
6. Cook until golden brown on both sides
I like to sprinkle extra powdered sugar on the finished french toast sandwiches, and serve them with additional strawberries on top. Maybe add a little maple syrup and you will be in a sweet, sweet heaven.
Do you think I should try making french toast with some sort of a banana custard filling? I’d love to hear what else you think would be tasty stuffed in a french toast sandwich. I’m thinking maybe something involving caramel or toffee… Let me know in the comments!